News & Articles - Why learner drivers fail their theory test
Why learner drivers fail their theory test
17 June 2016
Here's a statistic that surprised us, only 46% of test candidates pass their driving theory test on their first attempt. That's a terrible first time pass rate - it means that more than half of people fail the theory test on their first go.
Obviously preparation is a key factor in being able to pass, but we wondered whether there were particular questions that caused learners to fail.
To work this out, we analysed over 2 million driving theory tests from 150,000 test candidates that used Theory Test Pro.
The results highlighted 10 questions that 40% of learner drivers fail to answer correctly. 40% of learner drivers can't answer these questions.
- You are involved in a collision. What documents may the police ask you to produce?
- Name three situations where you may overtake another vehicle on the left?
- When can you drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line?
- How can you identify areas reserved for trams
- You have broken down on a motorway. When you use the emergency telephone what information will you be asked?
- Where would you find reflective amber studs on a motorway?
- You are in a collision with another moving vehicle. Someone is injured and your vehicle is damaged. What four things should you find out?
- If your car has unbalanced wheels, what can this cause?
Find out the answers to these questions by taking our quiz, or download a PDF copy of the Top 10 driving theory questions that trip up most learner drivers.
How much information have you forgotten? 19 June 2016 Recent research by GEM Motoring Assist suggests that less than 50% of those surveyed would be sure of passing, while a significant chunk, 41%, were unsure of how they'd do. By contrast, an impressive 67% of...more
17/06/2016 Why learner drivers fail their theory test? Top 10 driving theory questions that trip up most learner drivers 17 June 2016 Here's a statistic that surprised us, only 46% of test candidates pass their driving theory test on their first attempt. That's a terrible first time pass rate - it...more
10/09/2012 DSA Changes to hazard perception videos! Even better than the real clip 31 August 2012 Click image to see the video A few weeks ago, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) announced that it would be taking steps to deal with a long-standing issue: the video quality of hazard perception clips...more